Friday, April 1, 2011

My Dog, The Train Wreck...


I will never understand how veterinarians or veterinary students end up with animals that have major health issues.  I didn't go searching for a dog with health issues-- I actually had hoped that we wouldn't have any major health problems until at least mid-way through (if not completely through) vet school.... Maggie apparently didn't like that plan.

Yesterday we visited Dr. G at RASCAL Unit.  She's an amazing veterinarian that had allowed me to volunteer/shadow at her practice for the previous year-- it's that experience that brought me back to apply again after the frustration of rejection #2 from vet school....

I absolutely love the fact that she allows me to watch surgeries (and has extended an open invitation for me to come back whenever I have time....) and is super-informative with explaining procedures.  Yesterday, when I arrived, Maggie got kenneled and I found Dr. G-- standing over what looked to be a rottie/pitt mix that was having surgery to remove a mass from its rectum.  Talk about a real pain in the.... well... you know. 

We got to talking about my dog and what's been going on.  Between surgeries, she stepped out and did an exam on Maggie.  She explained what she was looking for and what to include/exclude.... (early ortho lesson!)  If I didn't have such a good relationship with Dr. G, I think I would've broken down in tears about the entire situation. 

Left rear leg: luxating patella-- ~grade 3
Right rear leg: tear in her cruciate ligament

My options: surgery on both legs at once or one at a time.  Since I didn't think making her completely immobile was a good option, we're spacing them out.

Surgery: April 25 on whichever leg appears worse at the time.  Surgery for leg #2 to follow.  In the mean time, a healthy supply of Novox and some Glucosamine....

No comments: