Monday, April 18, 2011

Big Wheel Keep on Turnin....

This past weekend, we went to an estate sale.  It was one of those 'if we happen to be home and the weather isn't horrible-- we'll go' situations.  You can tell a lot about a person just by the things they own.  Lots of antique furniture and glassware, tools and craft supplies.  In a strange, weird way I'd imagine you'd find a similar collection if my Grandparents on my father's side were to have an auction. 

I enjoy listening to the auctioneer.  My mother's side of the family used to run an auction-- though it wasn't in its glory days when I was little, I still remember spending time around the sale barn hearing the auctioneer doing the bidding. 

There were a few odds and ends at the estate sale that we were interested in-- a few old tools (can't beat the quality in older hand tools....), a few large glass measuring cups, some odds and ends, and two spinning wheels.

The woman that lived there had to have been crafty.  There were two wheels, a yarn winder and a set of hand cards (the latter two of these looked like they had seen better days-- which leads me to believe that she actually used them).  One was a small traditional wheel (I'm sure there's better terminology but my beginner spinning knowledge doesn't have me recognizing brands/styles 100% accurately yet) and the other was a wool wheel.  Both were absolutely beautiful-- all of the parts appeared to be there for the small wheel yet the wool wheel was missing a few key components. 

I'm never leary of trying to fix things or take on projects that need a few alterations.  In my arsenal of resources (or, as my sister jests-- individuals that have the word "sucker" permanently tattooed on their foreheads) are amazing individuals that know how to do woodworking, welding, machining metal parts, and leather work.  I'm forever grateful for these individuals and the fact that they don't discourage me from tackling random or obscure projects.  I know what I am capable of and am glad that I've got great creative problem solving skills (thank you to my parents and Destination Imagination). 

Back to this wheel.  I couldn't take my eyes off of it.  It's absoultely beautiful-- the history and character that you can see in the wood-- love at first sight.

The auction started.  After a little while, the auctioneer got to the first wheel.  There was a woman there that clearly was dead-set on leaving with that wheel.  I think she got it for around $170-- not bad for a spinning wheel (especially not bad if it is fully functional!).  The wool wheel was auctioned off after that.  I just couldn't let it go and, after a few minutes, ended up with the wheel for a third of what it's worth =)  I was on cloud nine for the rest of the afternoon.

I'm assuming it was one of the children of the individuals whose items were being auctioned that came up to me after I bought the wheel.  They asked me my intentions for the wheel and were glad that it was going to someone that was going to put work into it and actually appreciate one of their mother's prized posessions.

It's going to take a little bit of work but I'm the proud owner of two spinning wheels (thanks to the woman that introduced me to spinning-- you've definitely created a monster!  =)  ).  We'll have to do some digging to see what parts we need to build and how to get it functioning, but if nothing else-- the wheel is absolutely beautiful.  I will have to get the good camera out to take better pictures to show off the craftsmanship but here it is (disassembled).



1 comment:

WoolGrower said...

Good for you! I'm always thinking I'll come upon some old spinning tools at an auction...but that requires going to one which I haven't had time for! Enjoy your wheel! There is nothing like spinning wool to take the edge off stress :)!