Monday, May 9, 2011

Look Ma, No Staples!

Whoo hoo!  Staples are all out!   There were at least 20 staples in her leg. I don't think Maggie likes me too much though. She didn't get the benefit of technology-- I don't have a staple-puller (not for that kind of staple, at least), so two pairs of needle nose pliers had to work (creative problem solving at its finest!).  There was only one staple that made her flinch... and it was the last one. I think she was just done with me poking and prodding at her leg.  I removed them over three days-- pulling 3-4 for the first few days then the remainder on Sunday.  I had been advised to leave them in for 10-14 days (erring on the 14 day side of things).

I'm pleased with the appearance of the incision and her cooperation with the cone of shame.  I can tell she's miserable when we put that thing on her head but I'm not about to have her going back in to fix something that ultimately could've been prevented.  Can't say that it hasn't been an amusing few weeks with her running into things and freaking herself out (we learned quickly that she doesn't pick up her head enough to walk up the front steps without banging the cone on them....).  As far as walking on it/supporting weight on her back leg, she's starting to use it-- still limping around a bit (which is good) and we're weaning her off of the pain meds (don't want her to feel invincible).  Soon her fully shaved back leg will be brown again.


I still cannot say thank you enough to Dr. G and the staff at RASCAL.  

No comments: